Join us every Saturday from 8AM - 12PM in Downtown Hammond for the best local groceries & goods.
Our market has temporarily moved to the Old Hammond Feed & Seed property.
Address: 103 East Robert Street, Hammond, LA 70401
*Please note the market manager is on vacation. Applications will be reviewed again starting July 18, 2022.*
Beginning Saturday, December 4, 2021, our customers will be able to use SNAP benefits (Food Stamps) to purchase eligible products from vendors.
SNAP, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, offers nutrition assistance to eligible, low-income individuals and families. SNAP participants receive benefits on an EBT card which is then used to purchase eligible food items at SNAP-participating retailers. SNAP eligible foods include fresh fruits and vegetables, eggs, meat, honey, dairy, baked goods, and preserved foods.
The Hammond Farmers Market is the only USDA-approved farmers market in the Northshore region which allows for the acceptance of SNAP benefits. In Tangipahoa Parish alone, over 29,000 residents are SNAP recipients, ensuring expanded fresh food access for community members.
“With Downtown Hammond being a food desert since the closure of two locally owned food stores over the past six years, our market has served as a fresh food hub. We’re excited to now accept SNAP to improve healthy food access to all in our community and uphold our core value of inclusivity,” said Michelle Kendall, Market Manager.
By initiating this program, local farmers and food producers will economically benefit as well. “Everyone should have access to local, healthy, and fresh food. Keeping our community dollars local strengthens our native economy, and builds a more sustainable food system. When small farmers are given the opportunity to feed ALL of our neighbors, everyone benefits,” said Ashley Baradell, Farm Owner and Operator of A & A Acres.
Shopping with SNAP is five easy steps!
1. When you first arrive at market, visit us at the Market Welcome table (located at the front entrance on Robert St).
2. Present your EBT card to market staff member and request a dollar amount to spend.
3. Market staff will slide your card for the amount requested.
4. Market staff will provide you with wooden tokens in the value of the amount requested.
5. Shop with vendors selling eligible products! All vendors selling eligible products will have the sign to the right posted at their booth!